Treatment for Tobias
Tobias' family are fighting to fundraise to give Tobias a chance of the future he deserves. He has exhausted treatment options on the NHS and future ground-breaking treatment comes at a huge price.
Tobias Duncan- Hambolu was born on 28th September 2016. He is the sweetest, happiest little boy, who loves to cuddle and play, and brings so much joy to his mummy, Katharine, and his daddy, Isaac. When Toby was 8 weeks old, doctors found a lump in his stomach and he was eventually diagnosed with Infantile Fibrosarcoma. Toby has already had major surgery and the placement of a feeding tube. Unfortunately, the first chemotherapy did not work, and he grew 3 new tumours in a matter of weeks. Toby has since been placed on a more intensive course of chemotherapy to which he has responded to so far.
This is an exceptionally rare type of childhood tumour, and Toby’s tumour is behaving in a way that is much more aggressive that most cases of Infantile Fibrosarcoma. Of all the children in the UK that relapsed on initial treatment of this tumour type, ALL have gone on relapse again and did not survive.
The chance of Toby relapsing, is extremely high, and if this occurs, the next options in the UK are bleak. He would be faced with either radical surgery with removal of major organs, or radiotherapy which could only buy time and is exceptionally damaging to such a young baby.
There is a revolutionary medical trial taking place in the US and Spain, which uses a medication which directly targets the gene fusion that causes Toby's tumour. The trial has been getting very promising results, and could be vital for Toby. This ground-breaking immunotherapy will almost certainly be his best chance of a future and also help pave the way to help other children too.
So far 100% of children in his position have relapsed and not survived, something that is unthinkable for Toby. It just unthinkable for this beautiful little boy. Should Toby no longer need the funds, they will be used for general charitable purposes.
Individual child journeys - terms and conditions
During treatment for rare solid tissue tumours, some families may face the problem that the treatment they need is not available or funded within the UK and parents have to fundraise themselves.
At the Grace Kelly Ladybird Trust, we are working to help families to run their own campaigns to try and help reach these goals. All donations they receive are paid into the Grace Kelly Childhood Cancer Trust’s funds to fund our general charitable activities including funding a child’s treatment.
The funds raised by this appeal are not restricted for the child’s use, but the trustees of the Grace Kelly Ladybird Trust have agreed to designate 98% of the funds raised by this journey to help the child and family in paying for potential future treatment costs. (The other 2% is used to cover the administrative costs charged to the charity for donations through a payment page).
Should the child no longer need the funds or if the trustees decide at their absolute discretion that the funds may be designated for an alternative purpose, they are able to designate all or part of the 98% to other Grace Kelly Childhood Cancer Trust charitable purposes.